Day: October 5, 2015
I make roughly 10,000.00 annually from my job- that’s after taxes. Here are my base income assets:
- I work as a part-time librarians assistant (or assitant as my name tag suggests) with an hourly wage of 13.00 (24 hours a week).
- I do not get benefits, I do not get paid when we have days off (Like for snow, holidays, and so on), but I do receive about three hours of vacation time and three hours of sick time every month.
- I also receive 73.00 every month for food stamps because I have a low income.
Now for the things that suck away my money:
- Rent: 675.00
- Wireless Internet: 65.00
- Electricity: 55.00
- Food: 100.00
So let’s do the math: I have about 10,000 dollars a year.
- Rent for 12 months is 8,100.
- Wifi for 12 months is 780.
- Electricity for 12 months is 660.
- Food is (Well if I have food stamps, it comes out to be only 27 dollars that I pay to make the full hundred, so for 12 months I pay out of my income about 276).
Total amount: 9,816.00
Guys, that sucks hardcore. That means that every month, IF I ONLY SPEND MONEY ON ABSOLUTE NECESSITIES, NOT INCLUDING BUS FARES AND BICYCLE REPAIR, I ONLY SAVE 184 DOLLARS A MONTH
Which means that it would take me a long time to save 10,000 dollars, right? Of course right. But the truth is that last month, I saved over 700 dollars. How is that possible?
- I do not have a car. I ride my bike (Yes, even in winter, it’s really not to bad), (An average savings of 9,000 a year).
- I split my one bedroom apartment down the middle and rent it out to another person (an average savings of 360-450 a month).
- I donate blood plasma (an average of 100 a month). *Edit* Not anymore =[ I lost consciousness and can’t do it anymore, too bad so sad)
- I buy from yard sales and thrift stores and resell them on Craigslist and eBay (An average of 300.00 a month)
- I also started giving guitar lessons to locals for 15 dollars a session , weekly, (30 minutes).
This is how you can save a whole ton of money: By reaching out and utilizing every single one of your assets and minimizing your expenses.
The excess money that I make from reselling goes to all of my gear needs. Everything that is in my Paypal account is what I use to buy my sleeping bags, my tents, my equipment, etc etc etc.
If you believe that you cannot save money while making a very low income, think again. If you know what you want, then get out there are take it, because ultimately,
“Money can’t buy you love or adventure”